Wednesday 20 July 2016

Review: The Secret Life of Pets


This week, I took a couple hours away from my graduation preparations to go see The Secret Life of Pets. I’d been looking forward to seeing this film since I first saw the trailer, and despite mixed reviews, I am happy to say I was not disappointed. It kind of feels like a heartwarming mix between Homeward Bound and Toy Story, albeit with a somewhat forgettable plot line.

What the film lacks in story, however, it makes up for in character design and fantastic voice work. The cast was clearly chosen very carefully, with actors that children will find entertaining, and that adults will recognise and love. It’s the perfect summer movie, that I’m sure children and adults will love equally. 


The character design was just fantastic. For any pet owners, each animal displayed completely recognisable traits. I found myself thinking, ‘My pets do that!’ so many times during the film, making the characters relatable in an entirely new way. There were parts of the film that were a little lost on me, but other parts that made me laugh hysterically (i.e. every scene with Chloe) and overall, it was impossible not to like. I’d absolutely recommend this film if you just need something nice to watch on a summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment